Thursday, November 11, 2010

FO! Latte Luxe

The weather's turned chilly enough that one of us (OK, Patsy) was able to wear a heavy sweater to work. It's her version of the Cable Luxe Tunic, which she calls "Latte Luxe" because the color combination looks like espresso and steamed milk. Mmmm... latte...


Enough drooling. Here's what Patsy had to say about this sweater.
I used the Vanna White's Choice Lion brand yarn in Beige and Toffee. The yarn was easy to knit. This was my first cable knit and it was a bit of a challenge. I felt I could handle it because I joined the Cable Luxe Tunic knit-along on Ravelry. [Note: You need to be logged into Ravelry to visit that and other Ravelry links.] I got great tips and felt inspired by the camaraderie. 
I searched YouTube and knitting websites for instructions on how to do cables and how to use a cable needle. I had to frog the center yoke section a couple of times because of mis-crossed cables. It ended up being great practice for me. I kept getting lost in the cable instructions for the main body. There were so many cables in the main body. I finally wrote out the instructions in big letters on a piece of paper and used a row counter to keep track of where I was in the pattern. That helped tremendously. I think the cable in the body was a 12 row repeat. 
I made several mods to the pattern. I didn't do one of the increases because I am petite and was going to shorten the overall pattern. The net effect is the sleeves and body are shorten than the pattern calls for. Another modification was the back of the sweater. I got tired of all the cables so I stopped the cables midway on the back. I was never going to see the back of the sweater so it didn't much matter to me that the front and back didn't match. I also changed the yoke. The pattern calls for Garter stitches but the feedback on Ravelry was not very positive. The garter stitches could stretch out. I saw a project on Ravelry that had a cabled yoke so I copied that. 
I am glad I did the cables on the yoke because a lot of weight hangs on the shoulders and yoke. I think cables are sturdier than plain garter stitch. 
This sweater marinated for months because I mis-crossed the cables in the front at the bottom edge. I decided to frog back and make the sweater shorter. Turned out to be a good idea, it was a much better fit and proportion for my frame. 
It's a great sweater to wear... It feels like I am wrapped in a baby blanket.
Hooray for Patsy, the first person to have a finished object on this blog!

No comments:

Post a Comment